Book Buyers Anonymous

Hi, I’m Tara and I’m addicted to buying books…

No really, I think I am. This has grown exponentially since becoming a book blogger and then again after purchasing a Kindle. I need help… and that’s where you come in. I’m putting myself on a book ban for (at least) the month of July. One thing I’ve learned from the book blogging community is that I’m not alone in my addiction. So I’m offering to help support those of you who want to limit your book buying tendencies and I ask for your support in return. I’ve made a few buttons (feel free to steal them or make your own) and I’ve included a Mr Linky for you to sign up!

This doesn’t have to be an all or nothing thing. I was inspired by Felicia who allows herself free or under $3 books. You could set a certain price limit or book limit. Or allow yourself a certain amount of new books for every book you read. I’ll probably use a mix of these over the next couple months.

Just link to the post that tells us how you want to limit your book buying for the month of July!

We can beat this together!

Tara SG
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Book Buyers Anonymous

1. Amanda says:

Awesome idea! 🙂

• Tara SG says:

@ Amanda : Thanks! You should be in charge since you don’t seem to be swayed by shiny new book covers 🙂

2. I have to join you! My bn.com is surpassed only my bookshelves!! Help ME!!!

• Tara SG says:

@ Gina (Hott Books) : Thanks for joining! I think my Kindle has surpassed by bookshelves… but only by a little 🙂

3. Booksnob says:

Great Idea. I am in denial and don’t want help for my book buying problem. I just need more time to read and to become a speed writer. I wish you lots of luck and encouragement.

• Tara SG says:

@ Booksnob : I was in denial until the hubs asked the magic question “how much have you spend on eBook since you got your Kindle” and my response was “hundreds?”… If only it was as easy as just having more time to read!

4. You can do it! And I think when you figure out the savings at the end of the month it’ll be much easier to continue on.

Good Luck!

• Tara SG says:

@ Stacey (Say Something Stacey) : I know! I won’t know what to do with all the extra money (well maybe I do know what I want to do with it…). I don’t think I can bring myself to add up how much I’ve spent recently to compare though :/

5. Amanda says:

Tara, you want me to be the enforcer? Hahah.

6. Missie says:

But… But…

When you think about it, do you really need things like toilet paper and toothpaste. And Ramen Noodles aren’t that bad, neither is showering once a week or reading by candle light.

I love your buttons, and I really wish I could grab one, but the first step to admitting you have a problem is….

*runs away*

• Tara SG says:

@ Missie : HAHAHAHAHHAHA This morning the hubs says “Food is more important than books” and I said “That’s debatable”… He thought I was kidding… I was not 🙂

You could always limit and not ban completely! That’s why I made the Book Blog Anon button with the Book Ban on it 🙂

7. Missie – you crack me up! Have a problem? Hack no – OCD is not a problem it just means I have more books than the library!!

8. Felicia says:

I am so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. heatwave16 says:

I need to stop too. I was on a small ban from my other half for a month, but just couldn’t pass on a 40% off coupon from Borders. I know my TBR pile is like 40 deep. So, I am going to be good for JUly…unless its a totally awesome sale…;)

• Tara SG says:

@ heatwave16 : Ah to only be 40 deep in my TBR list… See that’s the nice thing about allowing yourself some wiggle room with the ban. I’m allowing myself free books and books under $3 🙂

10. Rebecca says:

I am so in on this. 16 books in 2 weeks and that doesn’t count the amount of e-books out there i have gotten in the last few weeks. I feel so overwelmed right now, i want to run from my bookshelf.

• Tara SG says:

@ Rebecca : Thanks for joining in! I feel overwhelmed too and that starts to take the fun out of reading 🙁

11. Amanda says:

Tara, consider it done. What do I need to do now?

12. Rachel says:

Oh god… I want to join… I need to join… But I don’t think I have ANY willpower when it comes to book buying.. !!

13. Michelle says:

Good luck! I am trying really hard to not buy any books lately. I have been pretty good – to the point where I walked into B&N and walked out again without having purchased a thing. I really need to get my own TBR pile under control first, and I think that is definitely helping my willpower. It is so easy to be swayed by the lure of a new book, isn’t it?

14. Lori says:

I just started weeding out my collection and donated them to the hospital where I work. They always need books for the waiting rooms and the cart that goes to the patient rooms and it feels better to give them to the hospital than just getting rid of them. LOL

• Tara SG says:

@ Lori : That’s such an amazing idea! There is a girl locally that runs a charity for the children’s hospital… wonder if they have something like that for adults…

15. My husband will be so proud of me!

• Tara SG says:

@ Heather McClung : My husband is just beginning to realize how much I spend on books… I’m hoping this starts to make up for the last couple months lol 🙂

Thanks for joining!!

16. Love the buttons Tara but I have given up book buying bans – I spent most of last year imposing them on myself then being miserable or failing or whatever so now I just go with the flow. i have (just) enough control not to go overboard and spend the mortgage money or food money and that’ll have to do. It turns out I have bought roughly the same amount this year as I did last year despite all the bans.

• Tara SG says:

@ Bernadette in Australia : I’ve never tried to force one on myself because prior to book blogging it wasn’t an issue lol. That’s really interesting that you spent the same the year you tried to stop as the year you just let it happen!

17. Darlyn says:

Just great for a lurker like me!

18. Jamie says:

I joined up too! Off to add the button to my blog!

19. heatwave16 says:

Free books are definitely ok. ;O)

20. LJK says:

I am in, just have to decide what my limits are. Thanks for the great idea!

21. Doreen says:

I joined, count me in! 🙂

22. Rachel says:

I give in. I am joining. Goodluck everyone! 🙂

23. Heidi Shafer-Wilson says:

I joined. It was touch and go there for a minute. I had to fight with my other hand to keep typing. This is kinda funny because I just had this fight with my husband about limited my book buying. I told him, I would go without clothes and shoes this winter and that I was ok with eating every other day at dinner time for a month or two. He didn’t see the humor in it. I even offered to make us all new coats this year. that I could take the old ones and cut them in half and mix and match them to make new ones for this year. All he did was shake his head. What I could see that working out nicely. It may even catch on and be a new fad.
    Well, I’ doing a mix of things. I will only get ebooks that are free or under $3, limiting under $3 to 5 ebooks and only buy 5 books a month. I was going to buy only the number of books I read but i could read a book a day so that wil not work for me. Plus I’m only alowing myself to stop at the book store twice a month. Every time I stop at the book store I buy no less then 10 books. Then I split it so my husband doesn’t now what I spent. How many of you did that?
    Thanks for the help
    Heidi

• Tara SG says:

@ Heidi Shafer-Wilson : HAHAHAHAHAHA that was the laugh I needed this morning 🙂 My husband also didn’t think my argument that we could just save money on food to be funny…

I like that you’re limiting the number of $3 books (I didn’t think to do that…). The limit on going to the bookstore is also a really good idea! I can’t walk out of a bookstore empty handed…

Thanks for joining!!

24. Fiona says:

Ooops – didn’t mean to sign myself as Ron Weasley that was the last Mister Linky entry I made. Don’t I feel like a dunce?

Hehe! I’ve already been on a ban for a long time but I’ve been finding it hard lately. My TBR also just DOESN’T got down and I haven’t even bought any books to add to it.

• Tara SG says:

@ Fiona : I fixed the Mr Linky. Now I’m going to have to search your blog for why you were linking with an HP name 🙂

I know what you mean. Shiny new books always get read first. I’m going to post tomorrow about some challenges to get us to read those old dusty TBR ones 🙂

Thanks for joining!!

25. I have found myself spending lunch hours buying books instead of buying lunch. LOL! And with my Nook, it has become such easy access. I already have so many books on my TBR that I should read before I touch another book. Hopefully, I can manage (fingers crossed).

• Tara SG says:

@ Yvonne (Diva’s Bookcase) : Hahaha yes buying books instead of food is probably a sign a book addiction 🙂

26. @ Heidi
    I do that constantly!! So he started ‘organizing’ my Quicken file so that he could figure out exactly how much I was spending on books. My response? I haven’t bought new clothes in years! He so didn’t appreciate that!

What I’m doing? No book purchases until I have less than 50 unread books – both in my library & on my nook. That should keep me busy for at least 6 months. Or not. Let’s see how long I can go.

I have, however, decided that I will still download free books from BN & Amazon that I **think** I may like. It doesn’t hurt to have them in the library if I decide in the future I may want to read them, right? They, however, do not count towards my TBR tower.

27. Lyndsey says:

Hey Tara! I’m a big old cheater, I’m afraid, because I LOVE my local library even more than I love my local bookshop. So I’m not so much of a buyer… but I do love to join in stuff! Let the challenge begin!
    Lyndsey

• Tara SG says:

@ Lyndsey : That’s not cheating! At least the books are getting read? Unless you’re like me and check out books from the library and then return them unread because you can’t renew them again and you didn’t make time to read them….

Thanks for joining!!

28. Pamk says:

I am going to limit myself to 5 new books this month. That doesn’t include any contest wins or book money I win. Technically I have bought 1 and 1/2 this month since I had a 5 dollar gc to amazon. Hopefully I’ll make it and I did purge and clean up my tbr books Haven’t had a chance to do the same with the ebooks lol.

• Tara SG says:

@ Pamk : I think 5 books a month is very reasonable! I’ll probably set a similar limit once I get my TBR pile at home down a little 🙂

29. Candace says:

I think I’ll set my goal at not buying any unless I get a 40% off coupon from Borders. Then it’s just ONE book!
    Of course I’ll still allow myself to win books and I’ll have review books coming in as well.
    I LOVE this idea!

30. *lynne* says:

I used to be quite addicted to buying books, although a big reason was back when I was in Malaysia there wasn’t a convenient library available, plus I had plenty of disposable income! Now, I only buy books I want to keep/make a collection of, and leverage the public library for everything else.

Thankfully I haven’t succumbed to the kindle/ebooks (I’m old school, I like to hold the physical/paper book: reading off of a screen just isn’t the same!) otherwise I might have to join in this movement: they don’t accumulate/take up space the way the real things do!

My best wishes to all the participants!

• Tara SG says:

@ *lynne* : I’m quite addicted to the library as well! At least it doesn’t cost me as much money (although I do help fund them with my late fees lol).

I was honestly surprised at how much I like reading on my Kindle. Since it is not backlit like a computer screen, it is very much like reading a book. It now takes me a few chapters to get used to holding a “real” book 🙂

31. Lyndsey says:

Guess what guys, I have a new solution to stop buying books – winning them! I managed to win an entire set of Wilkie Collins novels this week, which should keep me going a while 🙂
    Lyndsey

32. Dana says:

I’ll admit, I have a problem, but not buying a book will make me physically ill. I’m already on a budget. Please!

33. Candace says:

Well, I finally remembered to come back and enter myself in the linky! It was down when I ‘signed’ up. Now I think it’s about two weeks later and I’ve done AWESOME! I have not bought ANY books! It’s been a close call a couple times, but I stuck with it. I am STARTING to feel like I’m making a dent on my books, but I’m still getting review books and books I win, so they are still coming in. Just MUCH more slowly! If I could read a book a day for about 3 years and they continued to come in at 2 a week I think I would actually MAYBE get all my books read.

34. Pingback: Happy Birthday TaraSG! « Redefinition Mission

35. Amy says:

I have so many books it’s ridiculous. My problem is BUYING books. I do buy books AND read them but I have so much that my very large bookshelf is starting to overflow. But I can’t help it, I really am addicted to buying books lol.